- 1 onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 (15-1/2 ounces) cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed (other white beans can be substituted like cannellini)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- (optional) Tabasco sauce
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, sauté onions in oil until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients except sour cream and cheese.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until heated through. Shortly before serving, add sour cream and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. If you like a little kick add a few shakes of Tabasco sauce.
- Slow Cooker Version: Sautee onion until soft and throw everything except for the sour cream and cheese in a crockpot on low for 3-4 hours. Shortly before serving, add sour cream and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and add Tabasco sauce if desired.
adapted from Gooseberry Patch