– 4 eggs, separated, at room temperature
– 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
– 1 tbsp water
– 3/4 cup / 150 g sugar
– 2 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 stick / 125 g butter, melted
– 1 cup / 115 g white cake flour
– 2 cups / 500 ml milk, lukewarm
1. Whisk egg whites. When the peaks start forming add the vinegar, to stabilize the whites, and continue whisking until stiff.
2. In another bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar, water and vanilla until light. Add melted butter and continue beating for another minute. Then sift in the flour and mix.
3. Add the milk (it has to be lukewarm, otherwise the butter will harden) and beat until well incorporated.
4. Add about 1/4 of the egg white mixture and whisk to lighten the batter. Then gently fold in the rest of the egg whites using a spatula.
5. Grease and dust with flour a 8×8 inch square pan or a 9 inch round pan. Do not use spring form because batter is too liquid and the pan could leak.
6. Pour the batter into the pan and bake in preheated 325F oven for about 60-80 minutes or until the top is golden.
7. Cool in the pan for at least 3 hours. Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar.
– Yummmm – what more can I say! My favorite layer is custard 🙂
– In my case the top was refusing to brown evenly and then eventually it cracked a bit, but it still tasted amazing!