- Whole Wheat Tortillas – 8 tortillas (2 pieces for each pizza)
- Canola Oil – very small amount to glaze both sides of the tortilla
- Old El Paso Refried Beans – 1 (1 pound) can
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Onion – 1 small (diced)
- Paprika – 1 tsp
- Black Pepper – 1/4 tsp (or omit – you don’t really need it)
- Ortega Taco Seasoning – 1 tsp
- Scallions – 1 bunch (chopped)
- Jalapeno – 1/2 a jalapeno (deseeded & finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 (chopped)
- Whole Foods 365 Organic Salsa – enough to spread over the pizza (demonstrated below)
- Mexican Cheese Blend – enough to cover the pizza …you can use reduced fat cheese
- Sour Cream Reduced Fat – 1 dollop (optional)
1. Preheat the oven at 400 degrees.
2. Line a tray with foil
3. Place 2 tortillas on a flat surface and lightly glaze/brush both sides of the tortilla with Canola Oil.
4. Place both tortillas on the foil tray.
5. Once the oven preheats, place the tortillas in the oven for 10 minutes – 5 minutes on each side so they crisp up. You can add multiple tortillas if you have room.
6. In the meantime, make the beans. Empty the contents of the refried beans into a small pot.
7. Add a 1/4 cup of water.
8. Place the pot over a stove on low-heat.
9. In the meantime, chop an onion. Add the onion to the beans.
10. Add the seasonings – paprika, black pepper, and taco seasoning. I don’t think you will need salt.
11. Mix. Wait a couple minutes and once heated thru, turn off the stove.
12. In the meantime, chop the veggies
13. Check on the tortillas. DON’T TURN OFF THE STOVE. See how they are crispy once baked.
14. Spread a couple dollops of beans over the tortilla.
15. Top off with very little salsa.
17. Place the second piece of tortilla on top. Now top with salsa.
18. Spread salsa again – very little.
19. Top with scallions and tomatoes.
20. Add just about 1/2 to 1 tsp of deseeded jalapeno – see how much you can handle
21. Top with cheese, make sure you get the sides.
22. Using a flat ladle place the Mexican Tortilla Pizza on the foiled tray.
23. Into the oven for 12 minutes – I like my cheese slightly browned.
24. YO QUIERO PIZZA MEXICANA! MUY CALIENTE Y DELICIOSO!Google+