6 medium red potatoes, cubed
1 cup diced onion
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp salt
5 cups water
4 tsp chicken bouillon granules or 2 tsp Shirley J chicken bouillon
4 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup flour
1 cup milk
Salt and Pepper
Toppings: green onion, cheese, sour cream, bacon bits
1. Either microwave the onions until softened or saute them in a pan on the stove. Add to the slow cooker.
2. Add potatoes, garlic, bay leaf, salt, water and bouillon to slow cooker.
3. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4, or until potatoes are cooked through.
4. Prepare a roux. Melt butter over low heat in a skillet. Slowly add in the flour and whisk. After butter and flour are combined, slowly add in milk and tablespoon at a time. Continue whisking. When roux is thickened up slowly add in 1 cup hot soup
. Whisk until thickened. Stir in another cup of soup and keep whisking until thickened. Do this another 2 times. When you have a nice thick creamy sauce, add it all back into the slow cooker. Stir. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. Ladle into bowls and then add toppings, as desired.